The SMM Art Docent Program began in 2007 led by now retired teacher, Monnica Peinado. Funding for the program primarily comes from Parents Club contributions through our BOX TOPS fundraising. Volunteers are an integral and consistent part of the Art Docent program. Volunteers visit classrooms each month to introduce and expose students to Master Artists, Art History and the Elements and Principles of Art.
Through art, students are given a platform to express their creativity without the limits of boundaries or rules. They are challenged to interpret art lessons based on personal creativity as each artwork created is original and valued.
This program was designed to simplify the process so that volunteers feel equipped, empowered and excited to visit the classroom monthly or as a one time experience.
Art Docent Mission
- To introduce students to Master Artists and their contribution to Global and Cultural art forms.
- To examine the Elements of Art (line, shape, form, color, value, texture and space) as building blocks of art or the “ingredients” need to make art.
- To recognize that the Principals of Art (balance, emphasis, proportion, movement, pattern, variety, unity) are the tools to make art.
- To challenge students to use various art media including, but not limited to Paints (paint, pastel, markers, crayons), Papers, Printmaking, Pencil and Sculpture.
- To emphasize that visual arts teach students appreciation, knowledge, creativity, and expression for artistic and academic success.
- Set a date and time (may require 2 sessions) with the Teacher
- Find the grade you are visiting below under “Art Docent Resources”
- Choose a project listed under that grade
- Follow links to teach about the artist/element involved
- Follow link to lead the project
- Gather materials needed and a sample of the project (if available or create your own example!)
- *ALL MATERIALS ARE IN THE ART DOCENT CABINET*
- Most projects can be modified to suit all grade levels (use your imagination or ask for assistance)
- Feel free to find/create your own grade appropriate lesson using the Mission as your guide (search “art docent lessons”on the web).
- HAVE FUN. The students LOVE Art Docent Days!
Parent Coordinator: Clarissa Peppin Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Art Docent Resource “HUB”:
Songs about the Elements of Art:
Ideas & Inspiration